Building the future for good.
Located in the Mendoza College of Business, the mission of the Gigot Center for Entrepreneurship is to foster innovation by creating a sense of the possible among current and aspiring entrepreneurs. In pursuit of this mission, the Center encourages development of entrepreneurial vision and strategy; connection with companies, alumni, and other entrepreneurs; and the passion for creating value.
In addition to the academic courses, the Gigot Center sponsors several opportunities for our students to gain experience in the entrepreneurial sector:
- The Irish Entrepreneurs Network is a Notre Dame network of alumni and friends who are experienced in entrepreneurial endeavors and interested in supporting new venture development. Members of the Irish Entrepreneurs Network hail from all over the world, belong to a variety of industries, and provide Notre Dame students and alumni with the mentoring and networking assistance essential for building successful new businesses.
- The Irish Angels are an investing group dedicated to furthering startup growth through early stage investments. Comprised of over 50 investors that have operating or finance backgrounds in a variety of sectors, the IrishAngels identify and invest in promising startups, and are able to leverage the extensive Notre Dame network to provide value to their portfolio companies.
Competitions and Events
- The McCloskey Business Plan Competition is for ventures that have not been launched or are in the earliest stages of launch, and is open to all Notre Dame alumni, students and faculty. Participating in the competition is a great chance to test your entrepreneurial skills and is a tremendous opportunity to network with other entrepreneurs within the ND community. Mendoza students tend to do very well in the Competition: nearly $300,000 is awarded in cash and in-kind prizes.
- Held annually in April, Startup Weekend at Notre Dame – a Kauffman initiative – is a 56-hour marathon to launch new businesses. The 54-hour event is a one of a kind weekend where developers, designers, marketers, product managers and startup enthusiasts come together to share ideas, form teams, build products, and launch startups! This is a perfect opportunity for Mendoza students to meet and collaborate with other entrepreneurially-minded members of the ND community.
- The Irish Impact Conference brings together entrepreneurs developing new socially responsible business models, innovative pathways to delivering lasting impact, and fresh ways of thinking about financial sustainability and wealth creation.
- Venture capital MBA internships: 8-10 week summer internships working with venture capitalists from within the Notre Dame community. All expenses for the internship are paid by the Gigot Center.
- Venture capital/private equity immersion experiences: MBA students spend one-week “shadowing” an individual within the Notre Dame network who works in venture capital or private equity. All expenses are paid by the Gigot Center.
- Irish Angel Associates work closely with the IrishAngels investing group to perform the necessary due diligence required of startups requesting funding. An invaluable experience, this opportunity for MBA students is offered for credit as a directed readings course.
- The Gigot Center also offers Social Internships in which students work to solve social, humanitarian or environmental problems in developing countries