Four-Year J.D. / MBA Dual Degree
The Four-year MBA / Law Dual Degree: A Degree of Difference
Since 1970, Notre Dame has offered the Four-year MBA / Law Dual Degree. It is a program defined by difference:
- Different than the traditional JD/MBA track, which usually takes five years to complete
- Different from other dual-degree programs in that it is steeped in decades-long tradition
- Different in the type of lawyer it produces
Ranked No. 6 in the nation by Law Street, this rigorous program is perfect for students who will one day work in corporate or transactional law. Are you ready to make a difference—in your career and in the world?
Highlights: The MBA/JD student experience
Integral Leadership Development
Leadership is at the forefront of the Notre Dame experience. Before your MBA classes begin, you will take a deep dive into yourself through the Integral Leadership Development program. This inside-out approach to leadership will help you understand your core values and your personal leadership style to positively impact your teams, organizations and the greater business community.
Collegiality > competition
You’ll be part of a close-knit class within the Law School and Mendoza that values collegiality and collaboration over competition. As a result, you and your peers will both support and challenge one another to be the best lawyers you can be.
Impact the world
Global experiences are a key part of both business and law education today. Whether you’re studying through the London Law Program (the oldest study abroad program run by an American law school), or interning internationally through the Notre Dame Institute for Global Investing, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to immerse yourself in international business and law.
You’ll graduate with a claim to two branches of the Notre Dame family tree.
According to The Economist, Mendoza’s alumni network ranks #4 in the world in alumni effectiveness and #9 in potential to network. But knowing the right people will only get you so far.
That’s why Notre Dame has developed career preparation resources and experiences that will equip you to succeed—no matter where your degrees take you.
During your time as an MBA / JD student, you might prepare for your career by:
- Participating in your career leadership course, which consists of three different phases: understanding the MBA hiring marketplace, identifying your core strengths and learning to market yourself effectively
- Honing your skills by serving in one of the Notre Dame Clinical Law Center’s free clinics —community legal service programs that allow you to practice law under close supervision of full-time faculty members
- Competing with your fellow classmates in moot court
- Networking with corporate representatives through hundreds of on-campus touch points each year
- Abbott Nutrition
- American Airlines
- Bank of America/Merrill Lynch
- Capital One
- Deutsche Bank
- Discover Financial Services
- FTI Consulting
- General Electric
- Huron Consulting
- Johnson & Johnson
- Liberty Mutual
- M&T Bank
- McKinsey & Co.
- Pacific Gas & Electric
- Procter & Gamble
- United Airlines
You don’t have to sacrifice your social life to earn a dual degree
While you’re sharpening your business acumen and preparing for the next stage of your career, you’ll still have time to immerse yourself in the full Notre Dame experience by:
- Serving through the Center for Social Concerns
- Leading one of 30 MBA clubs or committees—ranging from Entrepreneurship to Marketing to Real Estate (more than half of MBA students are involved in at least one club)
- Attending IDEA Week, an innovation festival created by Notre Dame’s IDEA Center that hosts business, technology and entertainment events (past speakers and artists have included Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh, Daymond John of ABC’s Shark Tank, and the Chainsmokers)
What You’ll Learn: The Four Year MBA / Law Dual Degree course of study
During years one and two, you’ll focus exclusively on law, shift to MBA-only in your third year, and synthesize all you’ve learned in your fourth year, during which you’ll take both law and MBA courses.
Over the course of your four years, in addition to covering the entire Notre Dame Law School curriculum, you’ll take courses in Mendoza that include Strategic Decision Making, Introduction to Business Analytics and Leading People & Teams. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in two separate 10-day International Immersion Experiences in Chile, China or South Africa.
In total, you’ll complete 75 hours of coursework in the Law School and 48 in Mendoza on your way to preparing yourself to serve as a different kind of lawyer: one who’s as much aware of the ethical implications of their work as they are the bottom line.
Students applying to the Four-Year MBA / Law Dual Degree program are expected the have completed two years in the Notre Dame Law School before beginning the MBA portion of their program.
|Round||Deadline||Virtual Interview Dates||Decision|
|Early Decision||Sept. 21, 2021||Sept. 29-30; Oct. 7-8, 15, 2021||Oct. 29, 2021|
|1||Nov. 2, 2021||Nov. 16-18; Dec. 1-2, 2021||Dec. 17, 2021|
|2||Jan. 11, 2022||Jan. 27-28; Feb. 1-3; 10-11, 24; |
Mar. 10, 2022
|Mar. 18, 2022|
|3||Mar. 15, 2022||Mar. 23-24, 30-31; |
April 7, 19-21, 2022
|Apr. 22, 2022|
|4||May 3, 2022||Upon Request||Rolling|
- Early Decision
Early Decision candidates are expected to withdraw their candidacy from other schools and provide a non-refundable $4,000 deposit once they are admitted to the program.
- International Applicants
International candidates are strongly encouraged to submit the application and all supporting credentials by February 15, to allow time for VISA paperwork and processing.
Candidates for the Four-Year MBA / Law Dual Degree program must apply to both the Law and Business schools independently.
Tuition & Aid
A Notre Dame graduate business education: A lesson in ROI
The Notre Dame MBA affords one of the best returns on investment of any top-ranked MBA program, aided by merit-based fellowships and the low cost of living in South Bend, Indiana.
There are many opportunities to interact with MBA students and staff both on-campus and in your hometown. Our team is excited to meet you, share our passion for Notre Dame and be a resource as you go through the MBA selection process.
Throughout the year, our team and current students will offer informational webinars and Q&A sessions to help you understand our community and the opportunities the ND MBA offers from the comfort of your home. View past webinars and look for updated content during the year.All Events